Friday, September 18, 2009

Thanks Dad

There are so many things to thank you for and so little time left to do it.
Thank you for working so hard for so many years to make sure that we had a place to live, food to eat and clothes to wear. Thank you for raking piles of leaves in the backyard, just so I could jump into them and make a mess. Thanks for hiding Easter eggs every year so that the holiday was that much more exciting. Thank you for tucking me in and singing commercial jingles and TV themes to me as my lullaby. Thank you for digging out coins from the back seat of the car when the change in my pockets slipped out. Thank you for taking me trick or treating every year, even when it was freezing outside. Thanks for putting the star on the top of the tree every year and making a big deal about turning on the lights for the first time. Thank you for my college education. Thank you for giving me away at my wedding and realizing that Mike was indeed good enough for your little girl. Thank you for loving my husband like a son. Thank you for sharing a dance with me that night. Thank you for always being proud of me. Thank you for loving your granddaughter. Thank you for not giving me everything I wanted, but making sure I had everything I needed. Thank you for having a heart big enough and a mind open enough to realize that you could love an adopted child as if she was your biological child.
Thank you for being my dad. I love you. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment